Bachelor Thesis, Master Thesis, Project Study or IDP
📌 Key facts
- 💡 Background
- 🦾Who We Are
- 🎯 Goals
- 🧠 Topics of Interest
- 🎓 Profile
- 📚 Further Reading
- 📄 Requirements to any Work
- 📬 How to Apply
Bitcoin - a cryptocurrency based on blockchain technology - was the first currency not to be controlled by a single entity. With the gigantic increase in the value of cryptocurrencies, Bitcoin is now worth as much as the 7th largest company in the world by market capitalization (find more information here). But the fortunes of cryptocurrencies do not define the blockchain. In fact, the biggest impact of blockchain may be beyond bitcoin, cryptocurrencies, or even the economy. The size and scale of potential applications for blockchain technology are enormous, spanning a wide range of use cases in nearly every industry.
Many startups are in the process of leveraging this potential. In your work, you are to create a database on these startups with useful information for each startup (Founders, Field of activity, Country, ...).
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership, and Teams. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies, and organizations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
- Do extensive desk and internet research analyzing the blockchain startup ecosystem
- Build a database of blockchain startups worldwide - you might consider the following categories:
- Field of activity
- Size (Number of employees, ...)
- Location (Country, City, Headquarter, ...)
- Funding (Total Funding Amount, Investor Type, Investment Stage)
- IPO & Stock Price
- Founding Date
- Visualize your results (e.g. Which area of blockchain applications has the highest number of startups?)
🧠 Topics of Interest
- Blockchain technology
- Entrepreneurial activities and innovations
- Big Data
- Venture Capital
- Reliable and self-driven
- Enthusiasm for Entrepreneurship / Blockchain / Data / Venture capital
- Ability to do sophisticated internet, desk research, and connect with practitioners
- Passionate to learn more about the future and do research with impact
📚 Further Reading
40 Blockchain Companies Paving the Way for the Future
Blockchain is becoming a legitimate disruptor in a myriad of industries. The technology has become so promising that none other than tech giant IBM is investing more than $200 million in research. Further, more than 90% of European and US banks are researching blockchain options.
Blockchain start-ups raised a record $4.4 billion in the second quarter despite the slump in crypto prices
Funding for blockchain start-ups topped $4 billion for the first time in the second quarter, despite a sharp slump in cryptocurrency prices. Companies in the nascent industry raised a record $4.38 billion, according to data from analytics firm CB Insights, up more than 50% from the previous quarter and a nearly ninefold increase from the same period a year earlier.
Tech investors pump millions into NFT start-ups as digital collectibles boom
Venture capitalists are writing big checks for start-ups in the booming NFT space. NFTs, or non-fungible tokens, have exploded in popularity this year in tandem with a rise in the values of cryptocurrencies like bitcoin and ether.
Coinbase goes public with a pop
FOR CRYPTOCURRENCY purists the much-awaited listing of Coinbase, a cryptocurrency exchange, on April 14th must have been a disappointment. It started trading on a boring, conventional stock exchange, and not-as might befit one of the world's biggest crypto firms-on a buzzy blockchain, as the technology that powers the likes of bitcoin is called.
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside the university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!