Bachelor Thesis, Master Thesis or Project Study
📌 Key facts
Currently a few operating systems dominate the market. On your smartphones you either have IOS or android and most people have installed MacOS or Windows on their computer. Like in IT-Hardware, Europe has lost touch to operating systems and software compared to the US and Asia. In this work we want you to answer the following questions:
- Where do research and development of the operating system of the future take place?
- What are drawbacks of current operating systems (e.g. privacy)?
- Which operating systems are currently under development? Which technologies do they use?
- On which hardware will those operating systems run?
- How can German/European industries be at the forefront of developing the next generation of operating systems to achieve a competitive advantage?
- Which technologies will follow current operating systems?
- How could, for example German automobile companies develop their own technologies?
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on doing research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership and Teams. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies and organizations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
- Reliable and self-driven
- Enthusiasm for innovation / consumer technology / scenario creation
- Ability to do sophisticated internet, desk research, and connect with practitioners
- Passion to learn more about the future and do research with impact
📚 Further Reading
The operating system of the future will cater to your every need
Every transaction processed by your credit card company, every text you send, every video game you've ever played, are all possible because of an operating system. It's the most basic, fundamental interaction you have with a computer, especially for consumer technology.
What Is Windows Polaris? Microsoft's Next OS: Explained | Digital Trends
Since the release of Windows 10 in 2015, Microsoft has made it clear that it wants to move away from its past style of operating system releases and towards a new, more singular and unified approach. It's already brought together its desktop Windows 10 OS with Windows 10 Mobile, and Xbox Live infrastructure - and Polaris could be the next step in that trend.
These startups aim to smash Apple and Google's smartphone duopoly
For years, the devices and services we use have ever more aggressively monitored our activities and mined our data. But as consumers have grown increasingly attuned to privacy concerns, solutions have been appearing to help them evade tracking. Browsers such as Brave and search engines such as DuckDuckGo play up their privacy-first design.
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of a bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!