Bachelor Thesis, Master Thesis or Project Study
📌 Key facts
Some companies, like Google, Goldman Sachs, Facebook, or McKinsey consistently attract the best talent. At the same time there is a shift to newer companies like Netflix, Salesforce, or Square. "Employer branding" is no longer simply a concern for recruitment marketing; it is also a key component of effective organizational leadership. If companies can’t attract, engage, and retain the right talent, they’re unlikely to achieve their business objectives. Thus, it is important to find out how these companies attract talent and what makes them so attractive.
Answer any of the following questions:
- How do companies achieve employee attractivity?
- How do digital star companies recruit employees?
- Which assessment/selection methods are used?
- What are companies which attract much better people than they "should"? Why are they so attractive?
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on doing research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership and Teams. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies and organizations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
- Research academic literature on the topic
- Identify the most attractive companies for top talent
- Analyse their recruiting methods
- Analyse their assessment methods
- Derive factors that make companies more attractive
- Reliable and self-driven
- Enthusiasm for HR / Psychology / Marketing / Work Design
- Ability to do sophisticated internet, desk research, and connect with practitioners
- Passion to learn more about the future and do research with impact
📚 Further Reading
Top Companies 2019: Where the U.S. wants to work now
The 2019 LinkedIn Top Companies list reveals the 50 companies where Americans want to work - and stick around once they're in - now.
Creating the Best Workplace on Earth
Suppose you want to design the best company on earth to work for. What would it be like? For three years we've been investigating this question by asking hundreds of executives in surveys and in seminars all over the world to describe their ideal organization.
How the Best Global Employers Convince Workers to Join and Stay
Companies spend a lot of time and money building strong brands to win over customers-but they often fall short when it comes to strengthening their employer reputation to win talent. " Employer branding" is no longer simply a concern for recruitment marketing; it is also a key component of effective organizational leadership.
What Makes a Start-up an Employer of Choice?
Every company needs the right employees to succeed-but for start-ups, which lack name recognition and are perceived as riskier than established companies, attracting good people can be especially challenging. Although research has examined what drives job applicants' perceptions of a prospective employer's brand, there's been little investigation into what makes new ventures appeal to potential hires.
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of a bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!