Bachelor Thesis, Master Thesis or Project Study
📌 Key facts
- 💡 Background
- 🦾Who We Are
- 🎯 Goals
- 🎓 Profile
- 🧠 Topics of Interest
- 📚 Further Reading
- 📄 Requirements to any Work
- 📬 How to Apply
Effective altruism is a movement which asks the questions where and how 1 Euro can have the greatest impact to reduce pain. It uses evidence and rationality as leading principles to decide how financial measures can be used most effectively for example by prioritising problems and challenges. Such considerations are important for
- Social entrepreneurship
- Work of foundations
- Wealthy individuals
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on doing research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership and Teams. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies and organizations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
- Collect and analyse theories of effective altruism
- Identify proponents and representatives
- Analyse core principles to guide foundations and monetary allocation to problems
- Identify organizations that already use these principles
- Analyse which funding principles guide major organizations and compare them with effective altruism (e.g. The Gates Foundation)
- Prepare an overview of the biggest challenges of humanity and the world, the best way to address them in the view of effective altruism
- Create a guide for wealthy individuals, organisations, and foundations (and politics) to decide how and where to invest with the most impact
- Reliable and self-driven
- Enthusiasm for data-based decision making / sustainable finance / altruism / social commitment
- Ability to do sophisticated internet, desk research, and connect with practitioners
- Passion to learn more about the future and do research with impact
🧠 Topics of Interest
- Dependency on click rates
- Start-ups in journalism
- Quality measurement in journalism
- Media technologies
📚 Further Reading
Why we think promoting effective altruism is a great way to use your career
Working out how to help others is difficult, and many attempts to make a difference fail. Most large US social programs that have been rigorously evaluated, including those backed by expert opinion, turn out to produce weak or no effects, and in some cases negative effects.
Peter Singer: The why and how of effective altruism
If you're lucky enough to live without want, it's a natural impulse to be altruistic to others. But, asks philosopher Peter Singer, what's the most effective way to give? He talks through some surprising thought experiments to help you balance emotion and practicality -- and make the biggest impact with whatever you can share.
Home - Effective Altruism
What can you do now to make a difference? Get Involved (Around one email per month, no spam) For news and opportunities: Effective altruism is a collection of concepts, drawn from a range of academic disciplines. See how they relate to each other at EA Concepts.
GiveWell | Charity Reviews and Research
GiveWell shares the top charities we've found for saving and improving lives. You choose the top charity (or charities) you prefer, or have GiveWell direct your donation where it will help the most. GiveWell takes no fees and sends your donation to the organization(s) you choose.
The Most Efficient Way to Save a Life
Inspired to make a meaningful donation, I wondered: What is the best charitable cause in the world, and was it crazy to think I could find it? Last winter, William MacAskill and his wife Amanda moved into a Union Square apartment that I was sharing with several friends in New York.
Can this movement get more donors to maximize their impact?
SAN FRANCISCO - Every year, GiveWell, a nonprofit charity evaluator, publishes its list of top charities as part of ongoing efforts to recommend high-impact giving opportunities. These recommendations, which include deworming treatments, insecticide-treated bed nets, and direct cash transfers, are released ahead of Giving Tuesday, an international day of charitable giving.
Doing Good Better - Wikipedia
Doing Good Better: How Effective Altruism Can Help You Make a Difference is a 2015 book by William MacAskill that serves as a primer on the effective altruism movement that seeks to do the most good. It is published by Random House and was released on July 28, 2015.
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of a bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!