📌 Key facts
- What: Potential of AI to support managers in people, team and business management
- When: Start anytime. Applications are open!
- How to apply: Send us an e-mail with the required files (listed at the end of this page)!
- 📌 Key facts
- 💡 Background
- 🦾Who We Are
- 🎯 Goals
- 🎓 Profile
- 📚 Further Reading
- 📄 Requirements to any Work
- 📝 How to Apply
The first companies are already managed by an AI. While the concept of leadership has been researched for over 100 years, research in the artificial intelligence field, and moreover – the intersection of leadership and artificial intelligence, is quite recent.
Leadership research has found that behaviors such as charismatic influences and relationship building are important for leading humans. AI leadership may require adjustments to current influences used for humans. Building relationships with AI machines is expected to be altered with greater focus needed on ethical and moral mentoring.
To get a better understanding of challenges in current AI-based technology and important relationships with leadership, you will:
(1) Identify and evaluate relevant literature in this quite young research domain
(2) Develop a framework/concept of relations between AI-based technology and leadership.
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organisations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership, and Teams.. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies, and organisations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
The objectives of this research topic is answering following questions:
- How can AI-based technology influence leadership of modern organizations?
- Which potential does AI-based technology provide for managers to support them in their daily business?
- What are the benefits/disadvantages of AI-based technology in terms of people, team and business management?
- Strong analytical skills
- Reliable and self-driven
- Ability to do sophisticated internet and desk research
- Passionate to learn more about the future and do research with impact
- Enthusiasm for research and deep analytics
📚 Further Reading
- Smith, A.M. and Green, M. (2018), Artificial Intelligence and the Role of Leadership. J Ldrship Studies, 12: 85-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/jls.21605.
- Titareva, T. (2021). Leadership in an Artificial Intelligence Era. Presented at Leading Change Conference. James Madison University. February 2021.
- Iansiti, M., & Lakhani, K. R. (2020). Competing in the age of AI: Strategy and leadership when algorithms and networks run the world. Harvard Business Press.
- Peifer, Y., Jeske, T., & Hille, S. (2022). Artificial Intelligence and its Impact on Leaders and Leadership. Procedia Computer Science, 200, 1024-1030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2022.01.301.
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarise your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarising the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside the university know about your research and start your personal brand
Please note that these deliverables are not officially required, but desirable. All required documents for the thesis or project study will declared before its regristration.
📝 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (click the button below to send an email) by submitting a short motivation letter, your CV and grade report.
Please also add a short research proposal (maximum one page) where you briefly outline your tentative research idea (explain here how you want to answer the research questions mentioned above) and which data and methods you want to use to answer them - including a maximum of 10 key references so that we see that you know what you are writing about - all in word as a *.docx file.
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!