This page gives insights on striking content-related factors in a CV that are depicted by theory, and are recommended for a successful resume creation.
👩🏻🎓 Educational experience
- Study at a prestigious university (Kessler, Low, and Sullivan, 2019; Tawfik, 2017)
- Subject focus is important (Causer, 2009; Elias, 2015; GetSmarter, 2020)
- Study abroad is valued highly (Cheng and Florick, 2020)
📎 Work experience
- Quality of work experience (prestigious company) makes a positive impression on recruiters (Kessler et al., 2019; Ceniza-Levine, 2015)
- Quantity of work experience has effect on hiring interest (Kessler et al., 2019)
- International work experience has a positive influence on career success (Suutari, Brewster, Mäkelä, Dickmann, and Tornikoski, 2018)
🚀 Special facts
- Leadership skills will be important in the future GetSmarter, 2020)
- Technical skills gain importance in future resumes (GetSmarter, 2020; Jayanti, 2020)
- Causer, C. (2009). GP eh?-grading the attributes that set candidates apart [Career Building Blocks]. IEEE Potentials, 28(3), 17-18, 43.
- Ceniza-Levine, C. (2015, September 12). Five Items On Your Resume Recruiters Notice First. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinecenizalevine/2015/09/12/five-items-on- your-resume-recruiters-notice-first/?sh=6f5268dc5df9
- Cheng, A., & Florick, L. (2020). The Value of Study Abroad Experience in the Labor Market: Findings from a Resume Audit Experiment.
- Elias, K. (2015, February 9). Student Success: What employers are looking for. Supporting Student Success. https://supportingstudentsuccess.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/student- success-what-employers-are-looking-for/
- GetSmarter. (2020, February 27). Your Future Career: What Skills to Include on Your CV. GetSmarter. https://www.getsmarter.com/blog/career-advice/your-future-career-what-skills-to-include-on-your-cv/
- Jayanti, p. P. D. (2020, January 28). 25 Tips to boost your CV. Medium. https://prasad- jayanti.medium.com/25-tips-to-boost-your-cv-258a9cf5d7f5
- Kessler, J. B., Low, C., & Sullivan, C. D. (2019). Incentivized Resume Rating: Eliciting Employer Preferences without Deception. American Economic Review, 109(11), 3713- 3744. https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.20181714
- Suutari, V., Brewster, C., Mäkelä, L., Dickmann, M., & Tornikoski, C. (2018). The Effect of International Work Experience on the Career Success of Expatriates: A Comparison of Assigned and Self‐Initiated Expatriates. Human Resource Management, 57(1), 37-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.21827
- Tawfik, H. (2017, April 28). The True Value of Ivy League. Medium. https://medium.com/tools-for-entrepreneurs/the-true-value-of-ivy-league- cb7c4c241a98