Bachelor Thesis, Master Thesis or Project Study
📌 Key facts
The number of podcast listeners has grown by a dramatic 37.5% in the last three years. While they are certainly another form of entertainment, they are also a terrific way for professionals to stay abreast of current happenings within their industry. As podcasts are a recent phenomenon research is limited and focuses on their applications as a learning tool. However, the prevalence and popularity influential podcasts for professionals has fostered our curiosity in their content. We want you to answer some of the following questions:
- What similarities do successful podcasts show in their content?
- Can podcasts somehow be put in distinct categories?
- Are there factors making some specifically successful?
- How do they refer to trends?
- How scientific/ academic/ complicated is their content?
🦾Who We Are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focused on doing research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership and Teams. We are always early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies and organizations that shape the future, which has its ups and downs.
- Research academic literature on the topic
- Systematically identify popular podcasts on trends, technologies, business models, startups, future of work, and innovation
- Find a way to analyse their content
- Discuss the insights this analysis offers
- Reliable and self-driven
- Enthusiasm for Podcasts / Business / Technology / Learning Methods / Content Design
- Ability to do sophisticated internet, desk research, and connect with practitioners
- Passion to learn more about the future and do research with impact
📚 Further Reading
Council Post: 11 Essential Tech Podcasts
Staying updated on developments in your industry is crucial for any business leader to remain successful. The tech industry evolves and pivots faster than any other field, and if a company's tech leadership doesn't keep up, it can quickly set the business back.
How do students use podcasts to support learning?
PowerPoint presentations on a home computer. Results from this study indicate that academics need to contemplate the introduction of instructional methods such as podcast lectures within the broader context of instructional goals.
Using Podcasts as Audio Learning Objects
Podcasting is an audio content syndication through RSS feeds in the audioblogs. As a new application of audioblogging, podcasting uses the enclosures in RSS feeds for syndication and distribution of audio content to mobile music players on the Web. Despite the advantages of podcast- ing, there is a need for research that focus on the use of podcasts as learning objects.
Podologues: conversations created by science podcasts - Hayley Birch, Emma Weitkamp, 2010
Podcasts are media files that can be automatically aggregated and downloaded via the internet, and transferred to portable media players. Combined with online discussion facilities, podcasts represent flexible and potentially valuable tools for communicating about science.
Top 25 Business Podcasts for Entrepreneurs
11 min read Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Podcasting is one of the fastest growing digital formats with a strong penetration among a variety of age demographics. Perhaps one of the most notable uses for podcasts among individuals, is as a tool for learning, with the business genre being included as one of the top five most popular genres in the industry.
Automatic audio content analysis
MULTIMEDIA '96: Proceedings of the fourth ACM international conference on Multimedia Pages 21-30 https://doi.org/10.1145/244130.244139
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of a bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to Apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!