Bachelor or Master Thesis or Project Study
📌 Key facts
How will Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Immersive Reality (IR), and Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI) shape businesses and commerce? Will they have a meaningful impact or just be gadgets only relevant to a niche? In which areas of business will they be most likely used? What will be important to the companies producing VR or AR headsets?
Research in this field is just starting up and many areas remain unexplored. This is your opportunity to have an impact and guide companies on how they will be influenced by Immersive Reality. You could use a business model, customer-driven or technology acceptance model approach.
🦾Who we are
The Chair for Strategy and Organization is focussed on doing research with impact. This means we do not want to repeat old ideas and base our research solely on the research people did 10 years ago. Instead, we currently research topics that will shape the future. Topics such as Agile Organizations and Digital Disruption, Blockchain Technology, Creativity and Innovation, Digital Transformation and Business Model Innovation, Diversity, Education: Education Technology and Performance Management, HRTech, Leadership and Teams. We want to always be early in noticing trends, technologies, strategies and organizations that shape the future.
- Identify startups in VC portfolios that develop future of IR, AR, VR
- Map the different IR, AR, VR technologies and their progress and market potential
- Estimate how far away we are from the Star Trek "Holodeck"?
- Interview business leaders on their view on virtual reality
- Review literature on business cases, application, marekt potential for incumbent firms for IR, VC, AR
- Analyze/Evaluate their differences, impact, and/or developments
- Reliable and self-driven
- Interest in Virtual Reality / Business Models / Technology Research
- Passion to understand how you and others can best manage their finances and do research with impact
📚 Further Reading
Impact of Virtual Reality on Business Models: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318674426_Exploring_the_Impacts_of_Virtual_Reality_on_Business_Models_The_Case_of_the_Media_Industry
AR and VR in Operations Report by Capgemini: https://www.capgemini.com/de-de/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2018/09/AR-and-VR-in-Operations-Report.pdf
📄 Requirements to any Work
We do not want your research to gather dust in some corner of bookshelf but make it accessible to the world. Thus, we warmly encourage you to create some or all of the following:
- Infograph - visually represent some of your work (find examples here)
- Slide Deck - summarize your research and possibly present it
- Extract most important sequences from podcasts, videos, and other media
- 3-4 Tweets about the most important findings and summarizing the topic
- optional: Medium Article - let people outside university know about your research and start your personal brand
📬 How to apply
If you are interested, please contact Prof. Dr. Isabell Welpe (e-mail below) by submitting your CV and grade report. Please also briefly outline your tentative research idea (research question, data and methods, possible outcomes with a tentative outline all in word as *.docx)
We're greatly looking forward to hearing more about you!