- Carbon neutral across operations
- Sources 100% of electricity from renewable sources
Meta’s environemntal performance highlight is that it has almost achieved a neutral water impact. Its emissions have decreased 9,3% from 2019 to 2020, improving the carbon effectiveness of its business. Its wasteland diversion rate is not disclosed.
Meta focuses its sustainability, climate impact and resource strategy on climateresilience, energy & GHG emissions, water management, operational wasteand circular economy & product stewardship
Adapt and address challenges and risks caused by climate change and any relevant disruptions to supply, operations, and users.
Energy & GHG Emissions
Ensure efficient use of energy and transition to renewable energy sources in order to reduce GHG emissions across Meta (data centers, facilities, employee travel).
Minimize or optimize overall water consumption and quality impacts across operations, including within headquarters and data centers.
Minimizing or eliminating the waste produced across construction and operations, including within headquarters, offices, and data centers.
Circular Economy & product stewardship
Manage environmental and GHG impacts of manufactured products (including data centers) across their life cycles, including hazardous materials and e-waste.
🎯Goals & Actions
2030 - Carbon Neutrality across whole value chain
- Maintain 100% renewable energy
- Invest in durable and additional carbon removal projects
- Partner with suppliers to build capacity on data reporting and to support on-site energy assessments that identify energy reduction opportunities and improve environmental performance.
- Cover 100 percent of the work-from-home electricity use of our employees with renewable energy
2030 - Become water positive
- Introduce technologies to increase water efficiency at facilities. (e.g., operating data centers in lower humidity level)
- Support water projects that restore local watersheds near our data center communities.
- dPartner with local, trusted environmental nonprofits that share vision to identify and support water restoration projects that benefit neighboring communities