- Carbon neutral for its operations
- Matched its annual electricity use with renewable energy
- Neutralized legacy operational emissions in 2020
Even though Google neutralized all operational emissions in its history, it continues to reduce its carbon emissions and consequently its emissions per million dollar revenue. However, Google has increased its water and waste impact over the last three years.
Google focuses its sustainability, climate impact and resource strategy on efficientdata centers, carbon free energy, sustainable workspaces, better devices andservices, and empowering users
Designing efficient data centers
Make Googles cloud cleanest in industry and data centers some of the most efficient in the world by designing, building, and operating each one to maximize efficient use of energy, water, and materials.
Advancing carbon-free energy
Purchase renewable energy for operations and helping to drive wide-scale adoption of clean energy through investments, such as in its manufacturing regions.
Creating sustainable workspaces
Strive to enable healthy spaces and places by addressing carbon impacts associated with offices, advancing circularity, and cultivating healthy indoor and outdoor environments.
Building better devices and services
Design devices to maximize recycled content, neutralize carbon emissions from shipping Made by Google hardware products to and from direct customers, and help consumers save energy in homes.
Empowering users with technology
Develop technologies to help measure and monitor planet in real time, use artificial intelligence to address environmental challenges, and build tools that empower individuals to reduce their personal environmental impact.
🎯Goals & Actions
2025 - Eliminate plastic from packaging and make packaging 100% recyclable by 2025
- Find new protective materials by partnering with suppliers, sharing learnings with industry
2030 - Positive water impact
- Use of innovative datacenter cooling technologies such as seawater and outside air
- Collect stormwater for flushing toilets
- Help install toilet leak detection technology in low-income housing to cut waste and keep the water cycling through plumbing systems
2030 - Net zero emissions across operations and value chain
2030 - First major company to run 24/7 on carbon-free energy
- Improve energy efficiency of datacenters and products
- Collaborate with suppliers to uphold high standards for protecting environment
- Integrate new technologies into company’s portfolio such as battery storage and machine learning software to make wind power more predictable
- Minimize need for business travel & employee commuting
- Add EV charging ports at offices